|Australia Geological Survey Organisation
Geoscience Australia is the national agency for geoscience research and geospatial information. It is located within the Industry, Tourism and Resources portfolio.
Our research and information contributes to enhanced economic, social and environmental benefits to the community - by providing input for decisions that impact upon resource use, management of the environment, and the safety and well-being of Australians.
We have specific outcomes and outputs that stem from our broad corporate aim. Our major planned outcomes are:
* enhanced global attractiveness of Australia's offshore and onshore exploration
* improved resource management and environmental protection
* safer communities and transportation
Our output groups are geoscience for onshore, offshore and spatial information.
Each project that Geoscience Australia undertakes has its own project-specific outcome. Projects generate products and services such as research reports, maps, datasets and geoscientific advice to government and other clients. Project activities include:
* monitoring earthquakes and nuclear explosions, making earthquake and landslide risk-assessments, studying risks faced by communities, and providing technical test-ban-treaty advice to a range of clients in government and the community
* providing information on the Earth's magnetic field for navigation, mineral exploration, geological dating, dealing with hazards related to geomagnetic disturbances, and many other applications
* mapping the outer limits of Australia's jurisdiction under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, studying the environmental impacts of hydrocarbons, researching estuarine health and participating in the international Ocean Drilling Program
* identifying new prospective basins in Australia's offshore territory and promoting them as areas appropriate for exploration investment
* producing national geoscientific maps, databases and information systems, conducting regional and mineral-systems studies, advising on Australia's mineral resources for land-use planning and management, and promoting opportunities for minerals exploration
* providing fundamental spatial information which relates to national mapping, maritime boundaries, remote sensing and geodesy.
Every project progresses us towards our overall aim by contributing to one or more of the major outcomes, via a work program that builds on our solid achievements of previous years.