Liverpool Hospital has been operating continuously since the end of the eighteenth century. It was originally run as a hospital for soldiers and convicts, probably starting as a tent hospital in the 1790's. Liverpool Hospital became a principal teaching hospital of the University of N.S.W. in 1989. Associated with this and the needs of the increasing population of South West Sydney, major redevelopment of the Hospital is taking place, with the current program now nearly complete.